News and Events

Are you thinking of changing your name?

  • Posted

There are many reasons why someone might want to change their name, the most common reasons are following a divorce or separation or dislike of a name, but more and more couples are merging or hyphenating their surnames following marriage. There are also the occasional name changes inspired by celebrities or their sporting heroes. In the past few years, a number of people have changed their name Wayne Rooney and Michael Jackson!

So how can you change your name? Well, quite simply actually, as long as you are not trying to deceive or defraud anyone, you can just start to use your new chosen name. However, most organisations, such as the DVLA, passport office, banks etc will require a formal document in order to change your name, known as a deed poll. A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling.

Here at BakerLaw LLP, we offer a simply and cost effective service for you to change your name by deed. This is a service for which there is a small fixed fee, which includes taking instructions, preparation of the deed and witnessing your signature of the deed and certified copies for you to keep.  Upon completion of the document you can then use your new name in all circumstances and provide the deed (or certified copies) as evidence, for example, to change your driving licence or passport. 

All you have to do is provide us with the details of your names and we can do the rest.  We are a professional firm of solicitors who take pride in our excellent client feedback, which will give you the trust in us to draw up your legal document.    For further information please call our family department on 01252 73370 and a member of our friendly team will run you through everything and start the process.