For You and Your Family

“Wendy Armstrong has been excellent, professional, reliable, thorough, easily approachable and highly supportive in what has been a very difficult time.  I would not hesitate to recommend her”  Mrs B

Children Law Solicitors in Farnham

Being involved in a situation concerning your children can be an emotional time and leave you with plenty of concerns over how the situation will pan out. It is important to discuss your case early on with your family lawyer so that they can advise on your specific circumstances.

When considering arrangements for children, every case is different. However, we will always focus on what is in the best interests of the children.

Our family and child law solicitors can assist with matters, including:

  • Child Arrangement Orders
  • Prohibited Steps Orders
  • Specific Issue Orders
  • Parental rights and responsibilities
  • Other child law issues

We understand matters involving children can be difficult and worrisome. Our team can help to lessen the disruption and stress that is potentially caused during such circumstances.

For specialist child law legal advice and guidance from our skilful family law team, please get in touch.

You can contact your local BakerLaw office or email us at

Our expertise with children law

Child Arrangements Orders

Disputes can often occur where parents are unable to amicably agree on where their children will live and how much contact each parent will be entitled to. Where this occurs, parents may need assistance from a legal professional or even the courts to gain a child arrangements order for more complex matters.

Before applying to court about arrangements for children, the court will expect parents to attempt to resolve matters individually between themselves. Our team of child custody lawyers are experienced in alternative dispute resolution and will find the most cost-effective approach to suit your circumstances. Should court proceedings be necessary, you can be confident that we will tirelessly fight your corner to achieve the desired outcome.

Prohibited Steps Orders

A Prohibited Steps Order (PSO) can be made by the court to prevent a parent (or another guardian) from carrying out certain actions in regard to their child.

Our team of child law solicitors can help create PSOs to prevent, but are not limited to, the following:

  • The child being moved to a different school/nursery
  • The child having contact with a particular person
  • The child’s last name being changed
  • The child being moved from the country
  • The child undergoing a risky medical procedure
  • The child being moved from their family home or local area

Our solicitors can help you apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order. We can also assist in creating a solid argument that supports your reasons for wanting a Prohibited Steps Order in place where a hearing is required.

In the event that there is an emergency situation that places your child at risk, our team can provide advice on the appropriate actions to take, including applying for an emergency PSO.

Specific Issue Orders

A Specific Issue Order (SIO) allows a parent to carry out certain actions.

Our child law lawyers can assist in creating a Specific Steps Order for matters including:

  • Changing the child’s last name
  • Where the child will go to school or nursery
  • Whether the child can undergo medical treatments
  • Whether the child can have a religious upbringing
  • Whether the child can go abroad, such as on holiday or to move

Our solicitors have assisted many parents in obtaining Specific Issue Orders for all sorts of scenarios. You can be rest assured that with the support of our team, your matter will be handled correctly. We can aid you with drafting an SIO application, and where a court hearing is necessary will represent you, ensuring you have a robust argument in place to support the SIO. 

Parental rights and responsibilities

Fathers do not always automatically receive parental responsibility when a child is born, unlike the birth mother. This means they will not have rights or obligations over the child.

You can obtain parental responsibility for your children by marrying the child’s mother or by entering into a Parental Responsibility Agreement with the child’s mother. If the child’s mother refuses to enter into an agreement, we can attempt alternative dispute resolution (ADR) or, as a last resort, issue proceedings at court for you to obtain a parental responsibility order.

Other Issues

As well as dealing with issues relating to children arrangements, our family lawyers recognise there are other issues relating to children. Our professional team can advise you on child maintenance, school fees, housing needs in relation to children, holidays, moving abroad and contact with grandparents or other family members.

Please contact one of our specialist family lawyers now for more advice and information.

Children law explained

Where will the children live in the event of divorce or separation?

The children may live with one parent and have contact with the other parent, or there may be a shared living arrangement. If this cannot be agreed, either party can apply to court for a child arrangements order (previously known as a custody/residence order). Depending on the child's age, it may be that the child's wishes are taken into account.

How often can I see my child?

Every case is different, but the general approach is that both parents should have regular contact and access to their children.

What if we can't agree, do we have to go to court?

There are a number of solutions to dealing with issues concerning children.

Our family lawyers will be able to write to the other party, or if matters cannot be agreed, you could attempt mediation. Going to court is generally seen as a last resort option.

Do I have parental responsibility?

Parental Responsibility is a legal term that refers to the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities, and authority that go with being a parent. It has been suggested that these rights, duties, etc., include the following:

  • The right to decide upon the child’s education
  • The right to consent to medical treatment
  • The right to discipline the child
  • The right to decide the child’s future
  • The right to give consent to the child’s marriage
  • The right to have contact with the child

Parental responsibility for your child also means that you have a duty to care for and protect your child/children.

If you are the child’s mother, you automatically have Parental Responsibility. If you are the father of the child and are married to the child’s mother, you have Parental Responsibility, even if you married after the birth of the child. If you are the child’s father and your child was born after 1 December 2003, and your name was registered on the birth certificate, then you automatically have parental responsibility. If you are an unmarried father or you are not named on the child’s birth certificate, then you will not have parental responsibility.

Our child contact FAQ blogs

Our child law legal advice fees

We understand the complexity, time and effort that goes into child law matters, so cost is likely to be a key consideration. We always aim to provide a price that reflects our fees while being as cost-effective as possible and will always be completely transparent with our legal fees

For most straightforward cases, we can provide our assistance on a fixed fee basis, providing complete certainty over the cost you are paying.

Where matters are more complex, we may need to charge a fixed hourly rate, and this will help to provide a higher level of expertise and ongoing support throughout the process.

No matter the payment type required, our solicitors will be completely upfront from the outset, so you are entirely aware and can stay in control of the costs throughout.

Find out more about our pricing.

Contact our children law solicitors in Farnham, Surrey

If you are a parent or guardian looking for clear, practical advice on dealing with child law matters, our family and child law solicitors can help.

You can contact your local BakerLaw office or email us at